Friday, August 15, 2008

The Beauty Inside St. Peter's Basilica

Here are some pictures that I took inside St. Peter's Basilica.


* This photo is taken infront of the altar.






* This one can be seen at the right side of the basilica.It's the Pietà of Michaelangelo.


The Pietà (1499) by Michelangelo is a marble sculpture in St. Peter's Basilica in Vatican City, the first of a number of works of the same theme by the artist. The statue was commissioned for the French cardinal Jean de Billheres, who was a representative in Rome. The statue was made for the cardinal's funeral monument, but was moved to its current location, the first chapel on the right as one enters the basilica, in the 18th century.

This famous work of art depicts the body of Jesus on the lap of his mother Mary after the Crucifixion. The theme is of Northern origin, popular by that time in France but not yet in Italy. Michelangelo's interpretation of the Pietà is unique to the precedents. It is an important work as it balances the Renaissance ideals of classical beauty with naturalism. The statue is one of the most highly finished works by Michelangelo.











* This is the view infront of it.







* Infront of the altar you can see the statue of St. Peter.


Simon Peter or Cephas is the first pope, Prince of the Apostles, and founder, with St. Paul, of the see of Rome.



* This one can be seen at the left side of the basilica.


* Because I went there last December so inside of the basilica there is the essence of Christmas...

7 comments:

Anonymous August 16, 2008 at 3:24 AM  

Very Nice Richele, I really hope someday I will visit this church. Thanks for sharing
Computer and Electronics
Seek Health. Feel Great
Personal Blog Money
Beyond The Rave Reality

anne August 16, 2008 at 5:02 AM  

hi chelle add na kita hehe I also have a tag for you just follow the link T A G, salamat gurl hehehe by the way I like the pics u posted I hope I can go there haaaaaayy life

Mommy Liz August 16, 2008 at 7:00 AM  

Great pictures..I guess wherever you go, you take your digital camera with you..lol.

I only take pictures of my children, looking beautiful or awful..then I can look at it and say "ohhhh, look at you when u were little, u look like a troll."

You're lucky you can go to a lot of places..Enjoy it...
Have a great day to you all..

nahj12 August 16, 2008 at 11:39 PM  

looks so solemn inside.. sana dyan nalng kasal ko. .hahaha.. nangangarap ng gising.. weee...

lucas August 17, 2008 at 6:37 AM  

this church really intrigues me... and the catholic church... really fascinating... im really hoping na makapunta ako diyan.. hehe

Francesca August 17, 2008 at 10:45 PM  

Bonggang bongga ang loob ng simbahan. Ang taray! XD

MAY August 22, 2008 at 4:58 AM  

lovely pictures you have here... haaaay.. your country is one of the countries I'd love to go to.. I'd definitely go there in the future!! dang! i can't wait :)